You can help ...
As a Friend of the Early Morning Centre (EMC), you will be part of a group of like-minded people who share the vision of the EMC to support vulnerable people in our community and have committed to providing ongoing support for this vital work. Each quarter the friends receive a newsletter with information on activities and also receive invitations to special events.
The EMC on Northbourne Avenue, Canberra City was established in 2005 to provide a safe place for some of our city's most vulnerable people. With the help of dedicated volunteers, we provide a much needed service that is more than just a meal. It's a place where often marginalised people are treated as guests in our community 'home'. Our guests are provided with a place where they feel safe and respected, where they have a voice and can be heard, and where they are part of a community that supports them.
Your help would provide a range of services, including:
- Breakfast each weekday morning from 7:30 to 8:30am, including an outside coffee cart, for 35 to 45 people a day – that's over 10,000 meals per year!
- Emergency food packs, medical scripts and some clothing
- Drop-in centre from 9:00 to 2.00pm helping guests to work through daily challenges
- Assistance to identify and access community resources such as sources of government assistance, homelessness outreach services, tenancy support, legal aid, health and dental checks
- Free internet access, telephone and PO Box address for personal mail
- Shower and laundry facilities
- A safe place for people sleeping rough to store their belongings, and their documentation, to save them having to carry all of their belongings with them all of the time
- Special assistance for training programs to assist people to identify barriers in their lives and to feel more empowered to change them.
Your support would also provide so much more than that. We are now implementing social cohesion and community development projects and programs, as resources allow, to assist in creating more lasting change for our guests.
Your contribution will help ....
- $15 provides newspapers for a week
- $25 provides coffee for 40 people
- $90 provides internet access for a month
- $150 provides breakfast for 40 people
- $200 provides fresh towels for use in the showers for a month
- $500 pays for special assistance for a month
- $750 provides breakfast for 30 people for one week
- $1750 pays for cleaning of the centre for a month
- $5,000 provides breakfast for 20 people one day a week for a whole year.
If you would like to join the Friends of the EMC you can download the Friends Information Leaflet
or complete your details on our Join EMC Friends page
Check our current special fund raising project
at our MyCause.com.au